This Asia Pacific League of Associations for Rheumatology (APLAR) invites applications from science and medical graduates from APLAR member societies of developing countries for its APLAR FELLOWSHIP. The grant of US$12,000 is to assist graduates to undertake intensive or advanced study in the research or clinical aspects of either adult or paediatric rheumatology in a rheumatic disease unit in any country within (preferable) or outside the Asia Pacific area for a minimum period of six months. The successful candidate must have a long-term commitment to continue research or clinical work in his / her own country at the conclusion of the Fellowship. The grant is to cover air fares, accommodation and subsistence costs. Up to five APLAR Fellowship grants are available for the year 2013.
The offer is valid only for:
- Medical or science graduate of less than 40 years of age.
- Nationals of countries in the Asia Pacific area.
The following documents need to be enclosed with the application:
- Photocopy of birth certificate.
- Recommendation of the Head of Department where the applicant works at present.
- Recommendation of the Chairman or President of the national rheumatology society.
- Curriculum vitae including a recent 2 x 2 inch photograph.
- A written statement that the institute where the applicant wishes to work is able to accommodate him / her and the willingness of an instructor to supervise the programme.
- A general outline of the clinical or laboratory course or research work the applicant wishes to undertake.
- A certificate of fluency in the host country’s language.
- A certificate of ability to write the country’s language at tertiary level.
- A reference of good standing from the Dean of the candidate’s medical school / university.
All successful fellows are required to submit a full report to the APLAR Executive Committee upon the completion of the Fellowship. ($1,000 of the grant will be withheld until this report has been received). Additionally, they are required to submit data from the work carried out during the Fellowship for presentation at a subsequent APLAR Congress of Rheumatology, and for publication as a full scientific article in the APLAR Journal of Rheumatology. Download Application.
The original application and other documents need to be received before Monday 25 March, 2013, by the Secretary General of APLAR (documents sent by facsimile, or incomplete applications will NOT be accepted):
Dr C T Chou
Pico Creative Centre,
20 Kallang Avenue,
Tel: +65 6292 0723
Please email one set of documents in pdf format to email@example.com and post the originals to the APLAR office in Singapore.
For further information, please visit the website: http://www.aplar.org/Education/Pages/FellowshipsAwards.aspx